Sunday, April 20, 2008

Aren't Enough O's In Smooth For That One

The beautiful Spring day coupled with “bone day” for my dog reminds me of one of the stupider things I’ve done in the last few years.

My dog gets a bone once a week. The vet recommended I give her a bone to help her teeth. I follow his advice religiously after spending $200 on a teeth cleaning for the dog. (By the way, I still can’t figure out why he made me watch most of the teeth cleaning. I watched the dog being sedated and then having her teeth cleaned. And then he told me to come back in four hours when she had awakened from the anesthesia. Why couldn’t I go before he sedated her? I don’t have any desire to observe veterinary surgery. Was I being punished?)

(Cheyenne -- still angry about being spayed.)

Anyway, Kelly and the kids had gone to Wisconsin leaving me home alone for the week to work and study for whatever class I was taking at the time. It was a beautiful day and for some reason, I decided to give the dog her weekly bone outside. I then went back inside to work.

About 20 minutes later, I walked by the window and just stared for a minute trying to take in the scene. For some reason, Cheyenne had decided to bury the bone…in multiple places throughout the yard. Now my yard was full of holes and my dog’s paws were caked in mud. I couldn’t let her in the house that I had just cleaned so that Kelly would be amazed on her return, and I didn’t want to put her in my car. And the dog kept running away from me. So I chased her around the back yard for 10 minutes with a hose before she’d let me wash her paws off.

As I type this from our office, Cheyenne is behind me gnawing on her bone. The smell is terrible. However, it beats 8 holes in my backyard and a dog covered in mud…and an instructive $200 teeth cleaning.

No comments: