Saturday, April 26, 2008

What Was That Again?

My father was one of the most intelligent people I’ll ever know. But I still recall one thing he said when I was growing up. I was a teenager upstairs playing in my room with a friend when he matter-of-factly called up the stairs to my mother, “Lorrie, is there any reason why there’s smoke rising from the basement?” That concerned me.

I had a similar experience yesterday morning. I was in the office prepping for the day when the wife walked in and casually asked me, “What company do you call when you have animals in your attic?” That concerned me...greatly.

Now, it ended up that the smoke my father was referring to was really just steam from the clothes dryer. And apparently, the wife was just looking for a “back story” for her fractured fairy tale character for a school party. But I’ll always remember those initial moments of panic wondering why my father and wife were so calm as our house was potentially burning down or being overrun with rodents.

No comments: